The Great New York City

The Great New York City
From 16-27 February 2007

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Monday

Empire State!
Well, first of all, we get tickets with a travel company, who turn out to be the least-reliable bus service in New York. Their guides are okay, though. The tour takes us to Greenwich Village, Chelsea and Soho, where I get pics of the Bitter End club where Woody Allen and Joan Rivers got started. Apparently there's an Apple store in the area, which we eventually find. And thank heaven we do, because I, sadly, was starting to feel like I'd lost an arm.

Then we find a stop where we can hop back on the bus. At this point, we are still too nervous to use the tube. Believe me, not as bad as you'd ever imagine (given that it's scary as hell in most movies, it isn't remotely as intimidating as you'd think). I spend a lot of time here staring longingly into clothes shops. Greenwich is home to all kinds of designer boutiques. There are so many shops with so many PRETTY things!

Well, shoes first, and Old Navy jeans so I can have a non-shredded pair. And Tim badly needs some that aren't totally wearing out. men and clothes....dur.

It's still President's day, too, so New York isn't going at full throttle. By the evening we've meandered our way back to the Empire State, ever glad of a lit from our tour company, and they drop us off at the lobby. With their tickets we hop ahead onto the shorter line. Tim is briefly stopped during the mandatory security checks, mainly because they don't scan coats separately in the Emprie State but make you walk through repeatedly. Tim finally takes out the English money in his pocket and we're through to the first of two sets of elevators.

The elevators really aren't designed for masses of tourists! We squeeze in with the others and got up the first level and out at a floor that still looks like it's being built. Signs promise further dvelopment. My ears have almost finished popping, and we go past a big green screen where our photo's taken. Which we don't ever buy (me looking squat in my new hat, and Tim a taller dark shape huddled beside me. Not out mpst photogenic hour). So, we hustle to the top - the observatory on the 82nd floor!

We may have chosen the COLDEST day so far to go up here, and the wind doesn't let you forget it. People peer over the edge beyond the bars, staring across Manhatten. it's very impressive,. The Flat Iron - my favourite building - looks perfect at the foot of the Empire State. We wander around the truncated space - where half the platform is cut off by ropes and warning signs. This isn't so clear from inside the shop where loads of people try and force their way out the locked side marked exit.

I confess I don't entirely enjoy it up there. I'm glad to have gone and seen everything, I just felt claustrophobic and a little numb from taking everything in. We must walk four or five miles, or more, each day we're here, and there's a lot to absorb. I get a few souvenirs, though. It's an illusion of having a piece of the man-made mountain to take home. I understand the reasoning behind getting tat from these gift shops, now. I lived in Cornwall most of my life, and never saw the point of the touristy crap in shops, but now I really get the 'But when will I be here again?!' principle.

So, tat bought, Tim and I go to the Heartland Brewery restaurant at the foot of the Empire State, and refuel. Two delicious steaks marinaded in Jack Daniels sauce later, we're pretty satisfied with our day and head back to the hotel to collapse.

No comments: